This is the email questionnaire that the Cancer Information Nurse Team at
Cancer Research UK sends to clients who have recently contacted the CIS. This can be used as a template for creating an email questionnaire to be sent to clients who emailed the CIS for assistance. This questionnaire can be used to gauge the effectiveness and quality of your email-related CIS services as part of the program evaluation process.
Email Service Satisfaction Survey
Thank you for agreeing to take part in this survey; it should take no more than 10 minutes to complete. We will use the results to help us improve our service and get a better understanding of what people want from us. An anonymous summary of the results may be used in a published research paper.
When you contacted us was it mainly because of: (Please tick only one box)
|You have cancer or have had it in the past and had questionsabout your own situation||▢|
|You had questions about a relative or friend who has cancer or hadit in the past||▢|
|You were worried that symptoms you had might be a sign of cancer||▢|
|You were worried that someone you know might have cancer||▢|
|You are a health professional looking for information for your patients or your own professional use||▢|
|You are a student or journalist||▢|
2) Currently there are a number of different ways people can get information about cancer. Why did you choose to contact Cancer Research UK? (tick all that apply)
- I wanted unbiased information from someone not involved in my case ▢
- I believed Cancer Research UK would have the expertise to answer my question ▢
- I couldn’t find the answer to my question anywhere else ▢
- I did not know where else to go to for information ▢
- Cancer Research UK’s email form was the first one I came across ▢
- Other: _________ ▢
3) Why did you choose to contact us by email rather than phone? (You may wish to tick more than one option)
- I prefer to ask questions by email rather than by phone ▢
- I wanted to have the answer in writing ▢
- It was more convenient for me than phoning you ▢
- Emailing is less emotional for me than phoning you ▢
- I did not know I could phone you ▢
- Other: _______________ ▢
4) How did you expect emailing us would be helpful to you? (check all that apply)
|I had a specific question that I wanted you to answer||▢|
|I wanted to get a better/clearer understanding of my/the situation||▢|
|I (or a relative or friend) had a decision to make and thought emailing you would help me/us make it||▢|
|I needed information that I already had to be explained to me more clearly||▢|
|I thought emailing you might put my mind at rest or help me feel less anxious||▢|
|I didn’t know||▢|
a) Did you take any action as a result of the reply you got from us?
b) If yes, what action did you take?
Your experience of emailing us
5) Did you receive your reply within 5 working days?
6) When you contacted us how well did we meet your expectations?
- Exceeded my expectations ▢
- Met my expectations ▢
- Did not meet my expectations ▢
- I wasn’t sure what to expect ▢
7) Since contacting us, do you now feel that you have a better understanding of your situation?
If no, please explain why not:
8) The helpline is staffed by trained information nurses. Thinking about the reply we sent you, please answer the following questions on a scale of 1- 5 where 1 is poor and 5 is excellent.
a) How would you rate the nurse’s communication skills, where 1 is poor and 5 is excellent?
b) Was the answer they gave you easy to understand? Please answer on a scale of 1 – 5, where 1 is difficult and 5 is very easy
9) Overall how satisfied were you with the service you received? Please say on a scale of 1- 5, where 1 is not satisfied and 5 is very satisfied.
|Not satisfied||Very satisfied|
10) Overall was your email contact with the information nurses worthwhile?
If yes can you tell us why?
If no can you tell us why not?
11) Did our e-mail reply contain links to web pages with further information on them?
12) Did you click on these links and look at the web pages?
13) Did you find this information helpful?
14) If you have contacted any other information services,how did our service compare?
Not as good ▢
a) What was the other service that you contacted? ___________________________
15) If in the future you need some more information, would you email the Cancer Research UK information nurses again?
16) Would you recommend our service to anyone else?
17) Do you have any other comments or improvements you would like to suggest?
Our other services
18) Please tick the boxes below if you have used any of Cancer Research UK’s other patient information services listed.
|Service||Used once||Used more than once||Not used|
|Emailed the nurses a question|
|CancerHelp UK website|
|Looked at Cancer Chat forum|
|Posted on Cancer Chat forum|
Tell us about yourself
It is really useful for us to build up a picture of who uses our services. If we notice that some groups are not using us this helps us to decide if we need to promote or advertise the services differently. So it would be helpful to us if you would answer the following questions about you. It won’t be possible for us to identify you personally from this information, and it will not be passed on to anyone else.
19) Are you:
20) How old are you?
13 or under ▢
70 or over ▢
21) What is your ethnic group? We use this information to gauge whether we are reaching all ethnic groups in the UK. (The following categories were adapted from the National Census)
|White British||▢||Asian Bangladeshi||▢|
|White other||▢||Any other Asian background||▢|
|Mixed race White and Black Caribbean||▢||Black Caribbean||▢|
|Mixed race White and Black African||▢||Black African||▢|
|Mixed race White and Asian||▢||Any other Black background||▢|
|Any other mixed race background||▢||Arab||▢|
|Asian Indian||▢||Gypsy/Romany/Irish traveler||▢|
|Asian Pakistani||▢||Any other background||▢|
22) What is your post code? (We use this information to help us gauge if we are reaching people in all parts of the country and the community)
My post code is ____________
Thank you very much for taking the time to complete this questionnaire.
The Cancer Information Nurse Team
Cancer Research UK
Freephone: 0808 800 4040
Also available as a downloadable pdf document